Visitors to Rouken Glen are being asked to vote for it as their favourite green space in a competition to find the UK’s favourite park.
Over 200 local green spaces across the UK have been nominated to win the title which will be announced by national greenspace enthusiasts Fields in Trust.
This summer Rouken Glen celebrated the completion of the Giffnock park’s £3m transformation.
Improvements to the park include:
• A refurbished Pavilion Visitor Centre, which features a ‘History of Rouken Glen Park’ exhibition
• A £270,000 inclusive childen’s playground designed to be accessible for all with more than 25 pieces of equipment including an area for wheelchair users to enjoy, a dedicated toddler space and a multisensory section
• Restored Glen Path area enabling visitors to retrace the footsteps of the Victorians who worked at the Newfield printworks and witness remnants of the park’s industrial and social heritage
• Re-developed Walled Garden featuring new planting schemes, accessible paths, a paved area and poetry plaque
• Extensive conservation work on the boating pond – affectionately known as ‘Swan Lake’.
The regeneration of Rouken Glen was jointly funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund and East Renfrewshire Council.
East Renfrewshire Council’s environment convener Councillor Vincent Waters said: “Rouken Glen has a spectacular natural environment and holds a very special place in the hearts of its visitors. It really is one of Scotland’s best green spaces.
“It offers so much to local residents and visitors who travel here from further afield. The park’s facilities now include a refurbished visitor centre and exhibition, new playpark and redeveloped walled garden. The area has also benefitted from conservation work on the boating pond and restoration of the Glen Path on the west side of Rouken Glen.
Please take a minute to vote for Rouken Glen Park and make it officially the UK’s Best Park.”
To vote visit www.fieldsintrust.org/bestpark/scotland and find Rouken Glen Park. Voting will close at 5pm on Wednesday 9 November and the park with the most votes in each country of the UK will be shortlisted and invited to a prestigious awards event on Wednesday 30 November.
Last Updated: 2 November 2016 10:29